Open main menu Close main menu


Study a Certificate in Carpentry at Unitec in Auckland today!

Building and Carpentry

Train as a carpenter or builder and you’ll work on projects of all sizes. From commercial and residential buildings to detailed components like windows, doors and staircases... there are plenty of jobs out there. Whether you’re already in the industry or want to start an apprenticeship, a carpentry or building qualification from Unitec will help you make the most of your building and carpentry skills.

Explore your options

At Unitec, we like to build things and for our students, this means you won’t just learn the theory you'll spend most of your time on building sites or in our well-equipped workshops in our purpose built trades building.

If you are new to the trade and are not yet employed in the industry, join one of our pre-trade programmes, and you could be building new houses on-campus, which are sold to the public once completed. It’s a great way to get a sound knowledge of exterior wall and roof cladding, foundations, interior lining and finishing, and wall and sub-floor framing.

If you're already in the trade or are ready to undertake your apprenticeship with your employer, you can undertake the necessary level 4 carpentry training with us and work towards your qualification and industry registration.

Industry connections

Unitec is at the forefront and well-connected with the building and construction industry. That includes the Certified Builders Association of New Zealand, Registered Master Builders Federation, Building Officials Institute of New Zealand, Joinery Industry Training Organisation (JITO) and Master Joiners. For you, it means that what you learn in our carpentry and building courses reflects the best industry practices and the latest technology, methods, and materials. Unitec has also partnered with Kāinga Ora to deliver quality homes for families in need


The building and construction industry is crying out for qualified builders. Once you complete New Zealand Certificate in Carpentry studies, your skills will be in demand, you will earn more money, and you will have excellent career prospects and recognition within the industry. An apprenticeship is a commitment between an apprentice (the student), Unitec (the trainer), and an employer (the mentor) to combine study with work experience. It’s the best way to earn and complete your qualification on the job. Learn more on how Unitec can prepare you for a Building and Construction apprenticeship.

Visit Unitec Virtually

Curious about what our facilities look like? You can take a virtual tour of our campuses and Mataaho  (one of New Zealand's largest open-plan trades training facilities).

Programmes and study path

Start with a programme that suits your qualifications and/or experience, then progress to a level that achieves your goals.
New Zealand Certificate in Construction Trade Skills - Carpentry 3 Full-time for 1 year Assistant tradesperson, Apprentice carpenter, Journeyman March or July
New Zealand Certificate in Carpentry 4 Part time over 4 years. You must be in full time employment. Qualified carpenter, Building Contractor, Licenced Builder March or July

Funding your study

Find out how to fund your study, including which loans and allowances are available, the fees-free tertiary study policy, and grants and hardship.


Fees Free Tertiary Study

If you’re planning to start tertiary study or training at Unitec for the first time, you may be eligible for fees-free click here to find out more.

Youth Guarantee Scheme

Are you aged 16 to 19 and are looking for a course where you can pick up some practical skills? The Youth Guarantee scheme gives 16 to 19-year-olds the chance to study free for up to one year. click here to find out more.

Māori and Pacific Trades Training

If you are Māori or Pacific, aged 16 to 40, and interested in pre-trades training to become a mechanic, you could get your fees free with the Māori and Pacific Trades Training scholarships. This covers your full tuition fees for selected trades programmes. Find out more about MPTT Scholarships

Grants and hardship

Find out what support is available to students who have been impacted by financial difficulty and need help to meet additional costs for course-related costs and materials click here to find out more.

Loans and allowances (STUDY LINK)

Student loans and allowances are provided by StudyLink to eligible students and can help pay for your course fees and living costs while you study. click here to find out more.

Need to know information before you apply



Submitting your application

Applying online (click to expand)

Apply online for the programme or course you want to study. If you need any help applying, you can contact us on 0800 10 95 10, or come into Student Central.



Application closing dates (click to expand)

Some programmes have a closing date, and some have a special date that you should apply by. Programmes that don’t give a closing or special application date close when all the places have been filled. This can happen early so make sure you apply as soon as possible.


Checking your application status (click to expand)

Once you've applied online, you can see what’s happening with your application by visiting the Unitec website and clicking on ‘Continue my application’ in the Quicklinks section. This will take you straight to the login page.
Log in via Google or Facebook, or by using the email address and password you chose when you first applied. If you have trouble logging in, you can call us on 0800 10 95 10 or email


Process after submitting your application (click to expand)

After you’ve submitted your application it goes straight into our system. You’ll need to supply evidence of your identification and residency or citizenship status in the form of supporting documents - for example, a birth certificate, passport, or previous qualifications). You’ll need to either bring the originals into Student Central so we can certify them as true copies, or you can post certified copies of the originals to us.
Your student enrolment portal task list will have information on any other tasks you need to complete. For some programmes, you’ll need to submit additional documentation, such as a CV, or attend an assessment, interview or audition.
If you have any issues with any of the steps above, you can ask for an update in your student enrolment portal. Call 0800 10 95 10 or visit Student Central.


Submitting applications on campus (click to expand)

You can visit us in person to submit your application. Our Student Central (Te Pae Kōrero) is a one-stop-shop for help, located on both of our campuses. Our team of advisors will be able to help you apply for the programme you want to study.
Make sure you bring in your original documents, passport, birth certificate, academic transcripts and certificates so that you can sort this at the same time, while you’re with us. For more information and where to find us, visit the Student Central (Te Pae Kōrero) page.


Submitting documents online (click to expand)

If you log into your student enrolment portal, you’ll be able to upload your documents online. ID documents and academic documents need to be certified as true copies before they’re uploaded. Please note that the maximum file size allowed for uploads is 20MB. If you have trouble uploading your files, you can email or come into Student Central and have a chat with us.


Getting someone else to drop your documents to us (click to expand)

We know that you might not be able to make it into Unitec to submit your identity and academic documents due to work or other commitments. In this case, you can get your documents dropped off by your friends or family. It’s important to know that we need to see the original or certified copy of all official documents. Please be aware, we cannot accept photos, photocopies or e-copies.
You aren’t able to change your personal info on the application form
If you aren’t able to change your personal information on the application form, then this may be because we still have your previously entered information stored in our system. If you would like us to update your personal details, make sure you bring all relevant original documents such as your new passport or birth certificate or marriage certificate, to Student Central. If you just want to change your email address, feel free to contact us.


Previous Unitec applications (click to expand)

When you apply for a programme, you’ll be asked whether you’ve created an account with Unitec before. If you have an account, you can just log in using your old account details. If you were a Unitec student, or you applied prior to 2016, you can answer ‘no I’m new to Unitec’ and continue on to apply as a new applicant. Let your enrolment manager know when they call you, that you have previously applied to Unitec.




Student Fees and Financial Aid


Fees-free study eligibility (click to expand)

To receive fees-free support, you'll need to meet the relevant eligibility criteria and be enrolled in an eligible course. To check your eligibility, you'll need to go to the Government's Fees-free website and enter your National Student Number (NSN). The Fees-free website will also have instructions on what to do if you don’t know or don’t have an NSN.
Once you've checked that you're eligible, you can now browse our career and study options.
Once you've entered your NSN, you’ll receive one of the following results:
  • Yes – you're eligible for fees-free
  • No – you're not eligible for fees-free
  • Unknown – not sure if you’re eligible for fees-free
If you get a no as an eligibility status, you can apply for a student loan or allowance. For more information on student loans and allowances, visit the StudyLink website. We also have a range of scholarships, grants, and awards available, all with a wide variety of criteria that can help with paying for your study. For more information on our scholarships, grants, and awards, visit our Scholarships and Awards page.
If you get an unknown eligibility status but meet the eligibility criteria, you’ll need to complete and submit a statutory declaration to be eligible for fees-free. Instructions for completing the statutory declaration form are on the Fees-free website. We encourage you to do this as soon as possible, so there are no disruptions to your studies.


Fees-free coverage (click to expand)

Fees-free covers:
  • Tuition fees
  • Compulsory course costs, and
  • Compulsory student services fees
Please note: Fees-free doesn’t cover other optional and occasional fees.


Student Loan and Student Allowance Applications

Applying for a Student Loan or Student Allowance (click to expand)

You can apply for a student loan or student allowance online, through StudyLink.
If you still need more information, visit or call them on 0800 88 99 00.
If you need help applying, our Student Support Advisors can assist you. They run drop-in sessions at the beginning of each semester, for dates and times visit our Loans and Allowances (StudyLink) page.


Attending class where StudyLink has not yet paid for your fees (click to expand)

Processing of student loans may sometimes take longer than expected. You can still attend your classes, but you’re expected to keep a track of the proceedings of your loan application with StudyLink. We recommend that you apply for student loans at least 3 weeks prior to the semester start date, to avoid any delays or inconvenience.


Statement of Satisfactory Progress forms (click to expand)

If StudyLink sent you a Statement of Satisfactory Progress (SSP) form, please bring it to your nearest Student Central. Alternatively, you can send the form to us by email or post.
Our postal address is:
Student Administration
Academic Records Building 60
Unitec Institute of Technology
Private Bag 92025
Victoria Street West
Auckland 1142



Paying your fees

Domestic students (click to expand)

You can pay your fees by cheque, EFTPOS, credit card, or in the form of an approved application for a student loan. Follow the link for more options on how to pay your fees. If you’re applying for a short course, you’ll need to pay your fees when you register for the course.

If you’re expecting a refund, your course fee will be returned to the same account or payment method you used to pay them. If you paid fees for your course by student loan, your refund will be credited to your loan balance. If we have any issues finding your bank details or processing your refund, we’ll get in touch with you. If you have any questions, you can email with your full name and student ID.


International students (click to expand)

If you’re an international student, whether onshore or offshore, you’ll need to pay international fees that are set for the specific programme or courses.
If you’re expecting a refund, you’ll need to get an international refund form from our international office. You can book an appointment at the AskMe desk (in the hub - Te Puna) to see a Student Advisor if you want to drop or add a course, to understand how this impacts your visa and insurance. If you have any questions, you can email with your full name and student ID.


Obtaining your fees invoice or statement (click to expand)

There are a few ways to get one:
  • To confirm any outstanding balances of your fees, you can check this information by logging into Student Self Service via MyPortal
  • If you need a copy of an invoice or statement, just ask us and we’ll send you a copy of your invoice.
  • If you’re not able to do this or are having problems accessing this information, make sure you get in touch with us on 0800 10 95 10 to request an invoice or statement.
You can also visit any of our Student Centrals and we’ll print you a copy.


Dropping a course (click to expand)

Changes to your fees and grades or academic transcript will depend on when you submitted your change enrolment request:
  1. If you drop a class before or on the class start date
    • Enrolment for this class won’t appear on your transcript and you won’t be charged a fee.
    • If you’re a returning student, you can action this via MyPortal. If you’re a new student, you need to make a change to your Unitec application
  2. If you drop a class before or up to 10% of the class start date
    • A record of the enrolment won’t appear on your transcript, and there’ll be a fee of 10% of your fees for this class or a refund of 90% if you’ve already paid your fees.
    • You can action this after the semester start date via self-service on MyPortal.
  3. If you drop a class outside of the 10% timeframe
    • You may be liable for full fees and the record may appear on your transcript as a grade of W (Withdrawn) or DNC (Did Not Complete).
    • You can action this after the semester start date via self-service on MyPortal.