Building Structure 2 (BUIT5111)
- 30 (0.25 EFTS)
- The purpose of this course is to enable the student to combine a range of technical and analytical processes to be able to theoretically construct the structural components for a non-rectangular two-storey residential dwelling.
- Pre-requisites / Co-requisites:
- Students must be admitted to the Bachelor of Applied Technology programme or the Diploma in Applied Technology Building programme to enrol in this course. Restriction: BUIT5101.
- Topics include:
Construction documents and drawings, time lines, calculations, quantities, bracing, IT skills, drawing and sketching, quality management, problem and performance solving issues
and collaborative work practices, plant and equipment, sub-trades, alternative construction methods, E2/AS1, producer statements, durability and sustainability.
Health and Safety incl. msds, hazard controls, working at height (non and notifiable scaffold).
Foundations and Concrete
Foundations, concrete base construction, block work, base fill, rib-raft systems, formwork construction, pre-cast and reinforced concrete, control joints, emulsions and waterproofing,
damp-proofing, reinforcing steel and mesh, alternative base fill, insulation and heating systems.
Wall and Mid-Floor Framing
Wall framing, damp course membranes, wall framing bracing systems, load bearing walls, pole and sub-floor, sub and mid floor construction and bracing systems,
alternate flooring systems, laminated timber and steel structural beams, ducting, notches and holes.
Roofing framing including trussed and rafter designs (Hip & valley, skillion and Splay End), roof bracing systems, wind load, retaining wall systems, fasteners/hardware in different building environments.
Hip and Rafter Roof framing exercise, sketch up model used in class.
Additions & Alterations
- Choose your class for this course from the option(s) below. You will need to attend all the sessions in that class to complete the course. Where more than one class number is shown, choose one of them and attend all sessions within that class number. (Note: If a class is held in different locations at the same time, you only need to attend all the sessions in one of the locations.)
- There are no classes on public holidays.
- Note: Currently, this course is not offered for any programme or this course is for an old programme.