- 15 (0.125 EFTS)
- To enable students to apply the principles and practices of anaesthetic and analgesic procedures in the role of the veterinary nurse.
- Pre-requisites / Co-requisites:
- Students must be admitted to the New Zealand Diploma in Veterinary Nursing programme to enrol in this course. Pre-requisite: New Zealand Certificate in Animal Technology (Veterinary Nursing Assistant).
- Topics include:
- Veterinary anaesthetic theory, delivery and monitoring of veterinary anaesthesia, recognition and interpretation of, and response to anaesthetic events.
- Use, care, troubleshooting and maintenance of monitoring equipment (incl ECG, doppler, pulse oximeter, capnograph) associated with veterinary anaesthesia
- Non- invasive blood pressure measurements
- Anaesthesia special cases, very young and old patients, compromised patients
- Pain recognition, pain management, analgesia theory and use of analgesics drugs.
- Formulating, administering and monitoring a range of fluid therapies, including Constant Rate Infusions (CRI)
- Safety in the workplace
- Pre- medications, local anaesthesia, general anaesthesia, medications commonly used in New Zealand
- Preparing and administering drugs through common routes - Recovery form anaesthesia
- Choose your class for this course from the option(s) below. You will need to attend all the sessions in that class to complete the course. Where more than one class number is shown, choose one of them and attend all sessions within that class number. (Note: If a class is held in different locations at the same time, you only need to attend all the sessions in one of the locations.)
- There are no classes on public holidays.
You need to attend all sessions of this class as listed below.
|From – To||Session||Day||Time||Campus (Room)|
|1 Mar 18 - 12 Apr 18||Lecture||Thursday||08:30 - 10:30||Mt Albert (170-1016)|
|3 May 18 - 7 Jun 18||Lecture||Thursday||08:30 - 10:30||Mt Albert (170-1016)|
|2 Mar 18 - 13 Apr 18||Lecture||Friday||09:30 - 10:30||Mt Albert (115-2005)|
|4 May 18 - 8 Jun 18||Lecture||Friday||09:30 - 10:30||Mt Albert (115-2005)|
- Note: This course is offered as part of New Zealand Diploma in Veterinary Nursing.