- 15 (0.125 EFTS)
- To enable students to apply theoretical knowledge to work place practices in animal facilities.
- Pre-requisites / Co-requisites:
- Students must be admitted to the New Zealand Certificate in Animal Care programme to enrol in this course.
- Topics include:
Work based practicum off/onsite - 48hrs (Students must undertake 48 hours work experience in an approved animal facility or if they have employment in the industry (approved) they can complete the 48 hours at their workplace.
Work based practicum onsite - 12hrs minimum in the USAU,
application of animal welfare, housing hygiene and enrichment for animals, preparation of animal diets and feeding, handling and restraint during health checks, demonstrating personal
and animal safety and first aid practice, health checks, grooming, identifying and selecting animals based on normal and abnormal behaviour.
reading, writing, referencing, communication within teams, presentation of duties in written form using online tools, numeracy (feeding amounts, water quality, drug dose, body weight/condition).
- Choose your class for this course from the option(s) below. You will need to attend all the sessions in that class to complete the course. Where more than one class number is shown, choose one of them and attend all sessions within that class number. (Note: If a class is held in different locations at the same time, you only need to attend all the sessions in one of the locations.)
- There are no classes on public holidays.
You need to attend all sessions of this class as listed below.
|From – To||Session||Day||Time||Campus (Room)|
|24 Jul 18 - 7 Aug 18||Lecture||Tuesday||17:30 - 20:30||Mt Albert (183-1045)|
- Note: This course is offered as part of New Zealand Certificate in Animal Care (Companion Animal).