If you want to live off-campus you could rent an apartment or house in the local area, or rent a room in a shared house.
Flatting is renting a room in a shared house. Your room is private but the lounge, kitchen and bathroom are shared. You and your flatmates are responsible for cooking and cleaning, and for paying the bills. Rooms are often unfurnished, so you might need to buy some furniture. You can find cheap options in local second-hand shops.
Cost of flatting
Renting a room in a shared house costs about NZ$130 to NZ$200 per week.
See the New Zealand Department of Building and Housing website for more information on tenancy agreements, and your rights and responsibilities as a tenant.
Rented apartments and houses
Renting an apartment or house near Unitec is a good option for both families and couples. You will need to keep money aside for the following:
- Rent - this can range from NZ$280 – NZ$560 per week depending on the size and location of the property
- Power and phone
- Transport (if you not living within walking distance of campus)
- Bond – you’ll normally need to pay a bond of up to four weeks rent to the Tenancy Services. This is returned to you at the end of the tenancy, provided that the property is in good condition
- Letting fee - if the apartment or house is rented through a real estate agency, you may be required to pay a letting fee of approximately one week’s rent and GST
- Furniture - if the rental property is unfurnished or partly furnished you will need to buy bedding, furniture, whiteware and cooking equipment.
Auckland suburbs near Unitec
Suburbs close to Mt Albert campus include Mt Albert, Waterview, Point Chevalier and parts of Avondale. Henderson is the local suburb for Waitakere campus, and the Northern campus in Albany is convenient if you want to live on the North Shore.
If you need temporary accommodation when you arrive, options include:
- Backpacker hostels
- Bed and breakfast accommodation