Certificate in Applied Technology (Furniture and Cabinetmaking)
|Programme summary||Career opportunities||Courses & timetables||Admission requirements|
4, 120 1.0
Full-time for one year
Starts February or July
Mt Albert campus
Semester dates for 2014 will be advised.
NZ$5708 (Approximate fee only, find out more about the costs of study)
Explore furniture-making techniques, and gain insight into cabinet construction, timber-framed construction and marine-interior cabinetry. Spend two days a week working in the cabinetmaking and joinery industry.
Combining theory and practice, the Certificate in Applied Technology (Furniture and Cabinetmaking) provides you with the skills for employment in the furnituremaking, cabinetmaking, marine interiors or joinery industries. Learn the basics of furniture and joinery, and then further your skills with an insight into cabinet construction, timber-framed construction and marine interior cabinetry. Develop applied drawing skills, from hand drawings to Computer Aided Design (CAD).
- A hands-on, workshop-based introduction to furniture and cabinetmaking.
- A mix of study and work experience: you attend classes for three days per week and spend the remaining two days working in the industry. This gives you the opportunity to apply what you have learnt and make valuable contacts for your career.
- Excellent furnituremaking and joinery facilities, which include fully equipped workshops and an industrial CNC machine. You're welcome to visit our workshops to see them for yourself and we'll be happy to provide advice to help you in your decision making.
- Industry recognition: cabinetmakers, boatbuilders and joinery companies often call Unitec to offer apprenticeships, full or part-time employment and work experience to our students.
- Highly trained and experienced craftsman tutors.
- The Unitec Apprenticeship Training Trust may be able to find you an apprenticeship.
Prepare for success
Well-prepared students have the best chance of success in their studies, so we've put together a free online guide so you can refresh and sharpen some of the skills you'll use on this programme.
Last edited: 11 September 2013