Certificate in Language Teaching
|Programme summary||Career opportunities||Courses & timetables||Admission requirements|
5, 45 0.38
Full-time for one semester. All classes run on Tuesday and Thursday evening and on Saturdays.
Starts February or July
by 1 February or 1 July
Mt Albert campus
Semester dates for 2013:
Semester 1: 25 February - 28 June; Semester 2: 23 July - 02 November
NZ$1899 (Approximate fee only, find out more about the costs of study)
|Applications are now open for Semester 2|
Want to work as a language teacher? Learn about language and how to teach a language, and find out more about different teaching contexts. Practise what you’ve learnt teaching real language students.
Do you want a career in language teaching? Learning to teach English could open up exciting career opportunities for you, in New Zealand or around the world. The Certificate in Language Teaching gives you the skills to become an effective language teacher. This programme is ideal for those who are new to teaching languages, as well as those who have some teaching experience. You'll improve your understanding of language and how to teach a language, and learn more about various teaching contexts.
- Applicable to any language: while the focus of the programme is on teaching English, the skills you'll learn can be transferred to the teaching of any language.
- Emphasis on teaching practice: take part in team teaching sessions with adult language students for a total of six hours, with feedback from lecturers. You'll also need to make time for class observations, lesson preparation and assignment work.
- CELTA: you can complete the internationally recognised Cambridge Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA) as part of this programme. CELTA candidates will need to meet all CELTA entry and assessment criteria, and pay an additional administration fee of $600 (incl GST).
- A chance to observe experienced language teachers "in action" in the classroom for a total of six hours.
- Students enrolled in this programme are eligible for a student loan and student allowance from StudyLink.
If you would like to learn more about the Certificate in Language Teaching, join us at our free information session at 5.30 - 7pm, Thursday 30 May.
Last edited: 01 May 2013