We are passionate about supporting the teaching and research of Unitec staff. This guide provides a brief overview of the Library services available for staff. For full details of our services for staff please see the NEST > Departments > Academic Development > Library > Library services for academic staff (read on-site) (read off-site)
Using your Unitec computer network login, you can access our catalogue, databases, e-books, etc via the internet both on-campus and off-campus. To borrow items from the Unitec Library, you need your staff ID card. Please bring it with you when you come to the library. We understand you need more books for longer and have adjusted our borrowing policies to reflect this. More about borrowing.
See our Copyright information for staff page
Information resources are vital for all courses. We are happy to work with you in creating up-to-date resource lists of available resources and bibliographies for course documents. If you are developing a course and want an estimate of library costs, contact the Unitec Library Director.
- Instructions on How to Place Items on Course Reserve
- Guidelines for Deciding What to Place on Course Reserve
- For assistance, contact
- Main Library (09) 815 4321 xtn 8504
- Building One (09) 815 4321 xtn 7241
- Waitakere Joint Library (09) 815 4321 xtn 5022
- Northern Campus Library and Learning Commons (09) 815 4321 xtn 5604
Past exam papers can be made available to students through the library catalogue. Remember to check which past papers may already be accessible to students. Answers to exams are not included.
Email your exam papers to email@example.com to have them included.
Our databases allow you to attach specific articles you have chosen, or pre-selected database searches, to your Moodle course. Please see our help sheet for instructions on how to add links in Moodle to articles from Library databases. (Because of copyright restrictions, it often isn't possible to copy entire articles to Moodle.)
You can also link directly from Moodle to copies of the Library's electronic books. Please see our help sheet for instructions on how to insert links to e-books into Moodle.
You can also embed eTV videos directly into Moodle. Please see our eTV guide for instructions on how to insert eTV videos into Moodle.
Our Information Services staff will be delighted to assist you in getting the right resources to your students via Moodle.
- For assistance, contact the library on
Phone: (09) 815 4321 xtn 8564 or 8107 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Each department has a liaison librarian, who acts as a link between the library and departments' academic staff.
- Personal library orientation. Contact your liaison librarian for a personal library orientation and introduction to our services and resources. This also gives us an opportunity to find out about your information needs.
- If you are off-campus or part-time we encourage you to use email or phone to contact us.
- Information resources, especially electronic ones, are constantly changing and developing. We run an annual refresher course on the resources, sessions on new resources and we can tailor a personal session just for you anytime.
- We are experts in finding information. We suggest you discuss your research with us early in the research process.
- We regularly run sessions on Endnote.
- We need your help to ensure our collections are up to date and relevant. Contact your liaison librarian with any recommendations.
- NB. The Library is no longer responsible for ordering teaching texts. For information on how to order teaching texts please refer to your departmental administrator.
There are a number of ways the library supports researchers at Unitec:
- Inter-library loans
- Online research tools
- Guide on how to research
- Referencing & endnote guides
- Our liaison librarians have significant experience in Unitec subject areas, and are experts in finding information. We encourage you to discuss your research with your liaison librarian early in the research process - they will be happy to assist you.
- Your liaison librarian can assist you in preparing your PBRF evidence portfolio by using citation analysis to demonstrate Peer Esteem and Contribution to the Research Environment. See the Library's PBRF Support Guide for more information.
- Interloans Policy
- Article Request form
- Book Request form
- or contact the library on
Phone: (09) 815 4321 xtn 8677 or Email: email@example.com
Any information you disseminate about the library must be current and appropriate for its intended audience. Contact the Unitec Library Manager (Peter Hughes) when you need information about the Library to add to any Unitec publications like handbooks, course documents, or for accreditation or review panels.