Local off-campus housing options in Auckland include shared rental housing (flatting), homestay accommodation or renting a house or apartment.
Shared accommodation - flatting
A popular accommodation option among students in New Zealand is what’s known as “flatting”, which means sharing an apartment or house with other residents.
In a shared flat you have your own room, but share the lounge, kitchen and bathroom. You and your flat-mates are responsible for cooking and cleaning, and for paying the electricity, gas, contents insurance, water rates, internet, and telephone bills. Rooms are often unfurnished, so you may be required to buy some furniture. Inexpensive items can be found from local second-hand shops.
Cost of a room in a shared flat
If you are renting a room in shared accommodation you can expect to pay about NZ$130 to NZ$200 per week.
See the New Zealand Department of Building and Housing website for more information on tenancy agreements, and your rights and responsibilities as a tenant.
Rental apartments and houses
Renting an apartment or house near Unitec is a good option for both families and couples.
You will need to keep money aside for the following:
- Rent for an apartment or house– this may range from -NZ$280 – NZ$560 per week depending on the size and location of the property
- Power and phone
- Transport (if you not living within walking distance of campus)
- Bond - tenants may be required to pay a bond of up to four weeks rent to the Tenancy Services. This is returned to you at the end of the tenancy, provided that the property is in good condition
- Letting fee - if the apartment or house is rented through a real estate agency, you may be required to pay a letting fee of approximately one weeks rent and GST
- Furniture - if the rental property is unfurnished or partly furnished you will need to buy bedding, furniture, whiteware and cooking equipment.
Auckland suburbs near Unitec
If you would like to live near Unitec’s Mt Albert campus, suburbs to consider include Mt Albert, Waterview, Point Chevalier and parts of Avondale. For close proximity to the Waitakere campus, which is located in West Auckland, we’d suggest the suburb of Henderson. The new Northern campus is in Albany on Auckland's North Shore.
Temporary accommodation options
If you require temporary accommodation when you arrive, options include:
- Backpacker hostels
- Bed and breakfast accommodation
Last edited: 01 August 2011