Are you 16 or 17? Ready to move beyond school but still want to study and pick up some practical skills? Youth Guarantee is a new initiative that gives 16 and 17-year-olds the chance to study free for one year in certain hands-on practical programmes and Bridgepoint foundation education certificates.
Unitec is proud to be selected as a provider of the Youth Guarantee scheme, and it has Youth Guarantee places available now.
Places on some of the programmes listed below are limited, so we encourage you to apply as early as possible. Applications will be assessed against the programme entry criteria and the availability of places in that programme.
As part of the Youth Guarantee scheme, Unitec will offer a full range of student support services to assist you while you study with us.
To qualify to study under the Youth Guarantee scheme, a student must meet the following criteria:
- Be a NZ citizen or Permanent Resident
- Be 16 or 17 years old at the start of the course
- Be prepared to study full-time for one year (starting in either Semester 1 or Semester 2).
- Fill in an application for a course or programme AND the Youth Guarantee Declaration form.
- Be successful in the Youth Guarantee funding interview.
Unitec offers a range of practical programmes and Bridgepoint certificates under the Youth Guarantee scheme. Compulsory course-related costs will also be covered.
To qualify for the Youth Guarantee scheme, you need to study at level 1, 2 or 3 for a full year (starting in either Semester 1 or Semester 2).
Because not all programmes are run over a full year, Unitec offers options for entering the Youth Guarantee scheme in either semester.
The following programmes are standalone full-year programmes. View the details and possible start dates by clicking on the programmes below:
- Certificate in Electrical and Electronic Engineering (Level 3)
- Certificate in Automotive and Mechanical Engineering (Level 3)
Alternatively, you can combine the following Bridgepoint foundation education certificates with practical programmes to make up a full-year of study with us. View the details and start dates by clicking on the programmes below:
- Certificate in Foundation Studies (Level 2) in your first semester with us,
Followed by any one of the programmes below in your next semester:
- Certificate in Foundation Studies (Level 3)
- Certificate in Multiskill Building Construction (Level 2)
- Certificate in Music (Introductory) (Level 3)
Tuition is FREE for students studying on the Youth Guarantee scheme.
Because the programmes are free, you will not be eligible for student loans, but you can apply for a student allowance if you meet the eligibility requirements.
Applications will be assessed against the programme entry criteria. For students entering Bridgepoint foundation education certificates, you will be invited for an interview and pre-entry assessment to ensure that you begin at the level that is right for you.
If you would like to talk to someone about your eligibility and apply for a Youth Guarantee place, please contact Student Central on 0800 10 95 10 or email@example.com, and we will arrange for someone to guide you through the process. You can also visit the frequently asked questions for more information about the Youth Guarantee Scheme.
Last edited: 31 January 2013