Are you aged 16 to 19? Looking for a course where you can pick up some practical skills? Youth Guarantee Fees Free options give 16 to 19-year-olds the chance to study free for up to one year.
Places on some of the programmes below are limited, so it's best to apply as early as possible.
As part of the Youth Guarantee scheme, Unitec offers a full range of student support services to assist you while you study with us.
Find out the difference it's making to Certificate in Music student, Calum Dundas:
To qualify to study under the Youth Guarantee scheme, a you must meet the following criteria:
- Be a NZ citizen or Permanent Resident
- Be 16 to 19 years old before the start of the course*
- Be prepared to study full-time for up to one year (starting in either Semester 1 or Semester 2).
- Fill in an application for a course or programme AND the Youth Guarantee Declaration form.
- Gain a place in that course or programme.
- Be successful in the Youth Guarantee funding interview - this will happen once you have gained your place.
*15 year olds who hold Ministry-approved early exemption from their school may also be eligible. This exemption must be in place before the course starts.
Unitec offers a range of practical programmes and Bridgepoint foundation education certificates under the Youth Guarantee scheme.
To qualify for the Youth Guarantee scheme, you need to study at level 2 or 3 for up to a full year (starting in either Semester 1 or Semester 2).
Because not all programmes are run over a full year, Unitec offers options for entering the Youth Guarantee scheme in either semester.
Full-year programmes (click the programme titles for more information):
- Certificate in Electrical and Electronic Engineering (Level 3) - no further fees free places for 2014
- Certificate in Automotive and Mechanical Engineering (Level 3) - no further fees free places for 2014
One Semester/ half-year programmes (click the programme titles for more information):
- Certificate in Foundation Studies (Level 2)
- Certificate in Multiskill Building Construction (Level 2)
- Certificate in Foundation Studies (Level 3) - no further fees free places for 2014
- Certificate in Music (Introductory) (Level 3)
You can apply for just one of these programmes, or combine two to make a full year – the choice is yours.
Tuition is FREE for students studying on the Youth Guarantee scheme.
Please note there are no more fee free places available for 2014 for:
- Certificate in Electrical and Electronic Engineering (Level 3)
- Certificate in Automotive and Mechanical Engineering (Level 3)
- Certificate in Foundation Studies (Level 3)
Because the programmes are free, you will not be eligible for student loans. However, you can apply for a student allowance if you meet the eligibility requirements:
- Youth Guarantee students are eligible for financial travel support. This funding is linked to your attendance and it is administered by Student Support, not Studylink.
- For information about allowances and loan options for any other costs or financial support you may need please contact Studylink directly.
Applications will be assessed against the programme entry criteria, which may include an interview with the programme staff. Once all of this has happened, you will have an interview with the Youth Guarantee team to talk about funding.
If you would like to talk to someone about your eligibility and apply for a Youth Guarantee place, please contact Student Central on 0800 10 95 10 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also visit the frequently asked questions for more information about the Youth Guarantee Scheme.
Last edited: 26 February 2014