Complaints Resolution

Unitec is committed to making sure student complaints are resolved fairly and promptly through a consistent, formal, easy-to-follow process.

The  Student Complaints Policy explains when and how to lodge a concern, issue or complaints about any aspect of your experience at Unitec.

It’s a safe way to resolve complaints that need to be treated formally.

Download Unitec’s Student Complaints Resolution Policy.

Under ths complaints policy, students will be able to

  • find clear information about the complaints process, and the rights and responsibilities of everyone involved (the student, the staff member handling the complaint, any other parties involved).
  • indicate the outcome they would prefer. Although this outcome isn’t guaranteed, it give the staff member dealing with the complaint more information to make a fair decision.- find clear information about how to lodge an appeal.

How to make a complaint

If you are a current Unitec student, and you would like to make a complaint about an unhappy experience you've had while studying with us, we’d like to know about it.

Please download the Student Complaint Form, complete it, and follow the instructions to submit it.

All complaints raised through this process will be handled formally and in complete confidence.

Unitec managers, Heads of Departments and other staff are trained to manage student complaints, and track them through to a successful resolution. You will be kept informed at each step in the process.

More options for students

In some cases the Student Complaint process is not suitable and you need to take a different course of action.

  • If your concern involves discrimination, bullying or harassment of any kind, you should contact the Manager Equity and Diversity.
  • You can get help and advice from an independent Student Advocate. Student Advocates can support you or act on your behalf at any stage of the process.
  • For further support you can also contact the Unitec Conciliator.


International students

In the first instance international students can contact the International Student Co-ordinator (extn 8856) for support on a range of issues.

International students who want to make a complaint can also contact the International Education Appeal Authority, an independent body set up to deal with complaints from international students about pastoral care provided by their educational institution or agent.

Students can contact the International Educational Appeal Authority by writing to:

The International Educational Appeal Authority
C/- Ministry of Education
P.O. Box 1666
New Zealand

Last edited: 17 January 2014