Leadership in Education (EDUC8881)
- 30 (0.25 EFTS)
- Students will critically examine the core and contemporary leadership theories relevant to educational practice and settings. Aspects of leadership related to the management of diversity will be explored. Central to critical enquiry in this course is the concept of educational leadership.
- Pre-requisites / Co-requisites:
- Students must be admitted to the Master of Educational Leadership & Management or the Postgraduate Diploma in Educational Leadership & Management or the Postgraduate Certificate in Educational Leadership & Management to enrol in this course.
- Topics include:
1. Theories of leadership and management in organisations
2. Theories of leadership and management in educational organisations.
3. Theories of leadership and management styles including emotional intelligence
4. Leadership and management theory in a context of devolved management in educational organisations in New Zealand and internationally
5. Theories and models of educational leadership (including curriculum, professional, academic, instructional and student-centred leadership)
6. Theories of reflective practice and self-development
7. Issues of diversity in educational organisations, including issues related to biculturalism, gender and multiculturalism
- Choose your class for this course from the option(s) below. You will need to attend all the sessions in that class to complete the course. Where more than one class number is shown, choose one of them and attend all sessions within that class number. (Note: If a class is held in different locations at the same time, you only need to attend all the sessions in one of the locations.)
- There are no classes on public holidays.
Class: 1880. This timetable is currently unavailable.
Class: 2718. This timetable is currently unavailable.
Class: 5706. This timetable is currently unavailable.
- Note: This course is offered as part of Master of Educational Leadership and Management, Postgraduate Certificate in Educational Leadership and Management, Postgraduate Diploma in Educational Leadership and Management.