Are you working in the education sector and want to take your career further? The Postgraduate Diploma in Educational Leadership and Management is suitable for current and aspiring leaders in all education sectors and agencies who want to further their careers, but don't want to commit to a full master's degree. Advance your knowledge of educational leadership and management by exploring issues such as effective educational leadership, policy and strategy, human resources and leadership development, and the complexities of educational organisations and teams.
- In-depth, contemporary and academically sound, yet practice-oriented, professional development that is stimulating, critically reflective and relevant to your career in the education sector.
- Academic staff with experience in practical and research settings in public and private educational organisations.
- Available on either a full-time or part-time basis.
- A mix of intensive on-campus commitment - during nationally recognised, non-teaching breaks - and open learning. This gives you the flexibility to decide when you want to study, while still providing lecturer support through ongoing personal or electronic communication.
- Cross-credits towards the Master of Educational Leadership and Management.
For this programme, you will need the following:
1. A recognised Bachelor’s degree in the same or similar discipline, with an average grade of B- or higher in all Level 7 courses; OR
2. A professional qualification in a relevant discipline, recognised as being equivalent to the above.
3. A minimum of three years appropriate work experience in an educational organisation.
4. Practising status in an educational organisation so you are able to conduct institution-based assignment work.
5. 8 credits at NCEA Level 2 in English (4 in reading, 4 in writing).
6. If English is your second language, you are required to have one or more of the following:
- Have achieved NCEA Level 3 and New Zealand University entrance
- Be able to provide evidence you satisfy our criteria for existing English proficiency
- Have achieved at least one English proficiency outcome in the last two years
Don’t meet the requirements? We also accept:
- Provide sufficient evidence to be eligible for special admission.
For more information download the programme regulations:
Courses and timetables
All courses and timetables for 2018 will be available shortly.
|Leadership in Education (EDUC8881)||30 credits (0.25 EFTS)||Students will critically examine the core and contemporary leadership theories relevant to educational practice and settings. Aspects of leadership related to the management of diversity will be explored. Central to critical enquiry in this course is the concept of educational leadership.|
|Education Policy and Strategy (EDUC8882)||30 credits (0.25 EFTS)||Students will critically examine and interpret education policy. They will gain an understanding of and ability to apply and evaluate concepts of quality, strategic and financial management, and strategic marketing in educational settings.|
|Human Resources in Education (EDUC8883)||30 credits (0.25 EFTS)||Students will critically examine the theory and practice of human resources management, including performance management and leadership development in educational settings. Students will also apply theories of organisational learning to the resolution of organisational and people problems.|
The 'Key Information for Students' below does not reflect any international student information.
Please take this information as a guideline only. For example, you will often see a difference between these tuition fees and our estimate above. This is because there are a number of variables, such as the specific courses chosen within a programme.
The national graduate outcomes information is for all tertiary New Zealand providers including Unitec. This information is provided by the New Zealand Government and is derived from a national database that links educational and income information.
Key Information for Students
Entry requirementsMinimum requirements: Applicants need a Bachelors degree or equivalent and relevant senior management experience and meet the English language requirement.
Detailed requirements: See the above "Admission requirements" section for more information about entry to this progrogramme.
|Government tuition subsidy:||$7,743||$7,743|
National graduate outcomes
|(3 years after completion)|
|Earnings range||$46,056 - $70,743|
|In further study||19%|
|On a benefit||1%|
Note:All KIS information is the most recent available relating to domestic students only. Click here for more information about the Key Information for Students.