- 15 (0.125 EFTS)
- To critically examine the history and current social and political status of early childhood education in Aotearoa/New Zealand and its impact upon centres especially in the Pasifika community.
- Pre-requisites / Co-requisites:
- Students must be admitted to the Bachelor of Teaching (Early Childhood Education) programme to enrol in this course. Pre-requisites: (EDUC5911, 5912, 5913, 5914, 5915, 5905 & (5916 or (EDUC5919 & 5519)).
- Topics include:
Topics/Content outline (may )
Introduction to HCCECE course
The sociology of education
The history of education in NZ
Origins of ECE in NZ - pre WW2. Origins of ECE in NZ - post WW2. Impact of Feminism on the development of ECE in NZ
Education reforms - ECE focus
Context of reforms
Impact of reforms (links between B45 & subsequent ECE policy)
Origins of Pasifika in NZ
The history of Pasifika in ECE in NZ
Pasifika initiatives within the ECE strategic plan
The Pasifika Education Plan 2001-2005/ 2006-2010. Impacts of Pasifika initiatives the ECE sector
Pasifika aspirations in contemporary ECE settings
Advocating for Pasifika in ECE
Politics in the workplace - a professional practioner's perspective
- Choose your class for this course from the option(s) below. You will need to attend all the sessions in that class to complete the course. Where more than one class number is shown, choose one of them and attend all sessions within that class number. (Note: If a class is held in different locations at the same time, you only need to attend all the sessions in one of the locations.)
- There are no classes on public holidays.
Class: 2140. This timetable is currently unavailable.
You need to attend all sessions of this class as listed below.
|From – To||Session||Day||Time||Campus (Room)|
|25 Jul 17 - 1 Aug 17||Lecture||Tuesday||13:00 - 14:30||Mt Albert (112-4021)|
|12 Sep 17 - 26 Sep 17||Lecture||Tuesday||13:00 - 14:30||Mt Albert (112-4021)|
|17 Oct 17 - 21 Nov 17||Lecture||Tuesday||13:00 - 14:30||Mt Albert (112-4021)|
|18 Oct 17 - 18 Oct 17||Lecture||Wednesday||17:30 - 20:30||Mt Albert (112-3012)|
|8 Nov 17 - 8 Nov 17||Lecture||Wednesday||17:30 - 20:30||Mt Albert (112-3012)|
|13 Sep 17 - 13 Sep 17||Lecture||Wednesday||17:30 - 20:30||Mt Albert (114-4005)|
- Note: This course is offered as part of Bachelor of Teaching (Early Childhood Education).