Upskill and improve your career prospects in construction industries. Our Level 5 certificate is perfect for you if you’re a supervisor looking to gain a qualification in your work or if you’re a qualified builder who is looking to upskill to construction supervision roles.
In this programme you’ll learn a broad range of technical, operational and supervisory skills using knowledge applicable to the construction of medium residential and commercial buildings. This includes construction methods, weatherproofing, quality and productivity standards, required safety and much more.
- Flexible around your work; this programme is delivered in evening classes 5:30pm-8:30pm
- You will improve your job prospects through our nationally developed and recognised certificate.
- You will be able to demonstrate and prove you have the skills required for main contract supervision.
- Real world project applications: you will be able to apply what you learn into your work or on actual sites. You will not do any project based work on this course.
- Main Contract Supervisor
- Business Owners/Operators
With further training and/or experience when you graduate you may be able to work in residential or commercial construction as:
- Site Managers
- Construction Managers
- Project Managers
- Contract Managers
- Qualification and what next
Once you’ve successfully completed this certificate you’ll receive the Level 5 qualification: New Zealand Certificate in Construction Related Trades (Main Contract Supervision).
From here you will be able to work in main contract supervision roles in construction related industries and be able to apply for Site License Classes 1 and 2.
As a graduate of this certificate you may wish to undertake further study including diploma or degree level qualifications in Construction Management, Quantity Surveying, Architectural Technology, or any other building and construction related fields. Cross credit into diploma level and reduce the time it takes to complete a diploma qualification (entry requirements apply).
For this programme, you will need the following:
1. Have completed New Zealand Certificate in Construction Related Trades (Supervisor) (Level 4), or have the equivalent experience and/or skills
2. If English is your second language, you will need one or more of the following:
- Have achieved NCEA Level 3 and New Zealand University entrance
- Be able to provide evidence you satisfy our criteria for existing English proficiency
- Have achieved at least one English proficiency outcome in the last two years
Don’t meet the requirements? We also accept:
- Evidence of equivalent knowledge and skills
- Provide evidence of Special Admission or Discretionary Admission
For more information download the programme regulations:
Courses and timetables
For more details on the courses including timetables, please click on the course names below.
The 'Key Information for Students' below does not reflect any international student information.
Please take this information as a guideline only. For example, you will often see a difference between these tuition fees and our estimate above. This is because there are a number of variables, such as the specific courses chosen within a programme.
The national graduate outcomes information is for all tertiary New Zealand providers including Unitec. This information is provided by the New Zealand Government and is derived from a national database that links educational and income information.
Key Information for Students
Entry requirementsMinimum requirements: Applicant must; Have existing knowledge and skills in the trade that they will be supervising, AND The New Zealand Certificate in Construction Related Trades (Supervisor) (Level 4), OR demonstrate equivalent knowledge and skills.
Detailed requirements: See the above "Admission requirements" section for more information about entry to this progrogramme.
|Government tuition subsidy:||N/A||N/A|
National graduate outcomes
|(3 years after completion)|
|Earnings range||$30,712 - $47,749|
|In further study||17%|
|On a benefit||6%|
Note:All KIS information is the most recent available relating to domestic students only. Click here for more information about the Key Information for Students.