- 15 (0.125 EFTS)
- To assess and interpret observed behaviour of selected animals (in a range of situations) in relation to their environment. To explain how an understanding of applied animal behaviour can be used to improve animal management and welfare.
- Pre-requisites / Co-requisites:
- Students must be admitted to the Bachelor of Applied Science programme to enrol in this course. Pre-requisite: NSCI5702.
- Topics include:
- Behavioural needs
Motivation, behavioural needs, evolution of behaviour, frustration, behavioural problems, redirected behaviour, stereotypes, and environmental enrichment, behavioural economics,
- Assessment of animal behaviour
Qualitative methods, quantitative methods, ethograms, kinematic diagrams, continuous sampling, scan sampling, preference testing, motivational demand testing, common behavioural tests, and interpreting behavioural data,
- Influences on animal behaviour
cognition, behavioural development, hormonal effects on behaviour, environmental and social effects on behaviour,
- Conservation behaviour
Understanding habitat selection, foraging behaviour and antipredator behaviour for conservation, wildlife conservation behaviour
- Using behaviour to improve welfare
Assessing animal welfare using behaviour, enrichment, identifying key behavioural indicators, meeting environmental challenges, human-animal relationships
- Choose your class for this course from the option(s) below. You will need to attend all the sessions in that class to complete the course. Where more than one class number is shown, choose one of them and attend all sessions within that class number. (Note: If a class is held in different locations at the same time, you only need to attend all the sessions in one of the locations.)
- There are no classes on public holidays.
Class: 5574. This timetable is currently unavailable.
You need to attend all sessions of this class as listed below.
|From – To||Session||Day||Time||Campus (Room)|
|24 Jul 17 - 25 Sep 17||Lecture||Monday||11:30 - 12:30||Mt Albert (115-1023)|
|27 Jul 17 - 28 Sep 17||Practical||Thursday||10:30 - 12:30||Mt Albert (115-1007)|
|16 Oct 17 - 30 Oct 17||Lecture||Monday||11:30 - 12:30||Mt Albert (115-1023)|
|19 Oct 17 - 2 Nov 17||Practical||Thursday||10:30 - 12:30||Mt Albert (115-1007)|
- Note: This course is offered as part of Bachelor of Applied Science (Animal Management and Welfare), Bachelor of Applied Science (Biodiversity Management), Bachelor of Applied Science (Science Communication).