This award is to support a female trainee undertake a building or carpentry qualification at Unitec in preparation for an apprenticeship with Johnstone Construction.
|Award value: Full tuition fees||Number available: 1|
|Provider: Johnstone Construction|
|Contact: Tamara Croft at firstname.lastname@example.org or Rangi Williams, MPTT Maori Scholarships Manager at email@example.com 09 815 4321 Ext. 8780|
This award covers the full tuition fees of any Unitec, Level 3 or higher, full-time building or carpentry qualification commencing in 2017, as well as helping you progress towards an apprenticeship with Johnstone Construction.
Closing date: Friday 3rd December 2016
You must be:
- A female student
- New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- Enrolled in a Unitec Level 3 or higher, full-time, building or carpentry qualification commencing in 2017
- Certificate in Multiskill Building Construction
- Certificate in Applied Technology (Carpentry)
- National Certificate in Carpentry
- Diploma in Applied Technology (Building)
- Bachelor of Applied Technology - Building
How to apply (click to expand)
Each applicant for this award must complete and return all of the following to firstname.lastname@example.org before or on Friday 3rd December 2016:
- award application form
- provide evidence of a conditional offer into a 2017 Unitec Level 3 or higher, full-time, building or carpentry qualification
- a certified copy* of academic results from current courses and any previous study
- an up-to-date CV with details of prior work experience, paid or unpaid (for example, part-time work, child-care etc)
- a brief outline of future career aspirations
- contact information for two referees or two written references from referees; and
- a certified copy* of your status as a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident (not a driver's licence)
*“Certified copy” means a copy of the original certified as true by an appropriate authority (for example, Academic Registrar, Head of Department, Study Supervisor, or Justice of the Peace).
- Complete and return the application form and supporting documents by Friday 3rd December
- Johnstone Construction will review complete applications and select finalists by Friday 9th December 2016
- Finalists will be informed by phone or email in the week commencing Monday 12th December 2016
- Finalists will undertake a panel interview, and potentially a site visit, with the Johnstone Construction team in the week commencing Monday 16 January 2017
- Johnstone Construction will contact referees
- Finalists will be informed of the outcome of the interview and provided with feedback about their application
- The Award recipient will be announced by Friday 3rd February 2017
- Programme of study starts Monday 29th February 2017
- the applicant’s ability to complete the course
- the applicant’s availability to undertake paid work with Johnstone Construction during semester breaks
- the applicant's desire and suitability to work in the commercial construction industry
- The Johnstone Construction Women in Trades Training Award is for the reimbursement of course fees on the successful completion of your course, and the provision of power-tools for use during work experience.
- The reimbursement of course fees will be paid in instalments as the qualification is undertaken. A minimum of 85% attendance is required as well as completion of course theory work.
- If the recipient decides not to get their tools through StudyLink’s ‘Course Related Costs’ loan then the recipient will provide Johnstone Construction with the required hand tools list and Johnstone Construction will procure them on the student’s behalf.
- The recipient will be available to undertake paid work with Johnstone Construction during their semester breaks from Unitec to supplement their studies.
- At the successful completion of their qualification the recipient, after a post-study interview, will be available to join Johnstone Construction full-time as an Apprentice Carpenter over and above any other company which would engage the recipient in the role of Apprentice Carpenter.
- The recipient will then sign on to a BCITO or iTabs apprenticeship scheme within 30 days of completing their studies.*
Find out more
Visit the Johnstone Construction website for more information.