A student loan can help you pay for your tertiary education but it is a loan that you must pay back. You can get a student loan to cover compulsory fees, course-related costs and living costs.
To receive a student loan, you will need to be a New Zealand citizen, permanent resident, refugee or protected person (under the Immigration Act 2009).
From 1 January 2011, permanent residents and Australian citizens will be subject to a three-year stand-down before they can receive a student loan. This means that they will need to have lived in New Zealand for at least three years and be ordinarily resident in New Zealand. Permanent residents will also need to have held permanent residence for at least three years to qualify.
In addition, the programme you are studying must be:
- Approved by the Tertiary Education Commission; and
- Full time and 32 weeks or longer (or limited full-full time with approval); or
- Part-time - Minimum enrolment (12 weeks).
You need to tell StudyLink the EFTS value of your programme when applying for a student loan. You'll find this on the programme web page.
Please check the StudyLink website or contact StudyLink on freephone 0800 88 99 00 for the most up to date student loan conditions.
A student allowance can help you with your living costs while you are studying.
To receive a student allowance, you will need to be a New Zealand citizen, permanent resident or refugee. In addition, you need to:
- Be 18 or over (some 16 and 17-year-olds can also get it)
- Study full-time (or limited full-time with StudyLink’s approval)
- Be at secondary school or on a tertiary course approved by the Tertiary Education Commission
- Be a New Zealand citizen, permanent resident (for the student allowance a permanent resident must have legally lived in New Zealand for at least three years, held permanent residency status for at least three years, and be ordinarily resident in New Zealand), refugee or protected person (under the Immigration Act 2009).
Other allowances and benefits
There are other allowances and benefits you may be entitled to. They include:
- Accommodation Supplement
- Away from Home Allowance
- Childcare Subsidy
- Community Services Card
- Disability Allowance
- Recoverable Assistance Programme Grant
- Special Benefit
- Special Needs Grant
- Student Allowance Transfer Grant
- Training Incentive Allowance.
For further information please visit www.studylink.govt.nz or contact StudyLink on freephone 0800 88 99 00.