M.Phil (Social Policy and Social Work), Massey University Post Graduate Certificate in Health Sciences (Mental Health), University of Otago Dip.Soc.Sci (Social Policy and Social Work), Massey University B.A, University of Auckland Dip.Tchng, Secondary Teachers College, Auckland
Registered Social Worker
ANZASW (Aotearoa New Zealand Association of Social Workers)
Professional and Industry Experience
- Lecturer, Human Services programmes, Christchurch Polytechnic Institute of Technology, 2007-2010
- Senior Social Worker and Clinical Social Work Specialist, Mental Health Division, Canterbury District Health Board, 2001-2006
- Probation Officer, Department of Corrections, 1990-2001 (including secondment as therapist to Kia Marama Special Treatment Unit, Rolleston Prison, 1998)
- Director, Auckland Branch, Open Home Foundation, 1985- 1990
- Social Worker, Department of Social Welfare, 1981-1985
- Contract group facilitator, Stopping Violence Services, Christchurch, 1997-2006
- Contract group facilitator, STOP Programme, Christchurch, 1998
- Consultant training projects on mental health following disaster situations in Indonesia, Banda Aceh 2005 and Jogjakarta, 2006.
Areas of Research Interest
- Undertaking PhD study on faith based agencies in social services and community development
- Mental health
- Social work response to disaster
- International aid and development
- Professional leadership
Matthewson, P. J., Hughes, C., McNabb, D., Kuruvila, A., & Roberts, L. (2015). Social work and community development: What's the story? Community Development Conference, Unitec Waitakere Campus, Auckland.
Matthewson, P.J. (2014). Social policy and welfare in Aotearoa New Zealand: a historical and current overview. The Council for International Fellowship, Unitec Department of Social Practice, Auckland, 5 November.